MS in the US
The USA has been the evergreen and most popular study destination for a lot of international students in the past few decades. The presence of world-class universities and top-ranked universities, flexible study system, exciting research, and specializations are some of the reasons which make the USA stand out from the rest of the countries.
As technology grows and changes rapidly with each year, Computer Science experts are always in demand. And where better to study than the place where the computers and modern technology frenzy started, the USA. A Ms in Computer Science from the US is one of the highly acclaimed programs in the world.
How to apply for an MS in CS?
For an international student, 16-year education is mandatory to be eligible to apply for a master’s program in Computer Science in the USA. Additionally, a good GRE score and IELTS or TOEFL are also required. The general eligibility requirements to study an MS in Computer Science in the USA are listed below:
- GRE/TOEFL/IELTS/GMAT score proofs.
- Recommendation letters.
- Work Experience certificate, if applicable.
- Photocopies of Passport
- Certificates of extracurricular activities mentioned in the application form.
- WES evaluation documents, if required by the university.
While some institutions accept applications on an ongoing basis, most universities offer an early deadline and a regular deadline. The early deadline is usually from December to January, while the regular deadline is from March to April. As most of the university deadlines close by January, it is advisable to apply early.
Advantages of studying in the USA
- The focus is more on quality than quantity. The curriculum is planned in such a way that you will get more time to focus on completing assignments and research.
- The universities focus a lot on helping you gain practical knowledge. A majority of universities have partnerships with great technology which will allow you to meet the employees and attend workshops.
- The student visa allows you to work while you are studying. This policy helps you to cover your expenses and gain experience while studying.
- Some universities organize contests to teach you how to work under pressure, respect a deadline and create an original tech product.
- By studying in the US, you will make your first step towards a successful international career. It will help you gain an international experience which is sought by many employers.
Ms in CS
Computer Science is a vast field and ever-evolving, so choosing the right university and specialization will determine your success in the future. Here are some of the top Computer Science specializations:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Data Science and Analytics
- Software Engineering
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Information Science and Management Information Systems
- Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing
- Theoretical Computer Science
GRE is compulsory for admission in the USA, and some universities might even ask you GRE subject test. However, there are very few universities which do not require GRE. GRE scores must be in the range of 300 to 330.
IELTS/TOEFL scores are mandatory to apply for a master’s course in the USA. An IELTS score of 6.5 and above would be enough to get into a well-reputed university.
- Age Limit
Another advantage of pursuing an MS from the US is that there is no age limit to apply for a program.
Your academic performance tells the university a lot about your potential as a prospective student. The USA has a four-point grading system which means that a student is graded on a scale from 0 to 4. Most graduate programs require students to have at least a 3.0 GPA.
You cannot go abroad to study anywhere including the US with your GATE score. You need to complete your GRE if you want to apply for a master’s program abroad.
When it comes to a master’s degree in Computer Science, the tuition fees also vary according to the university you choose. The average tuition fees for a two-year master’s program will be around $40,000. You can always apply for a scholarship or other financial aid to reduce these costs.
The average living expenses for a student range anywhere between $8000 to $12,000. The costs include:
- Rental Costs
- Meal Costs
- Transportation Cost
Students are also allowed to work while studying with a student visa. While the school is in regular session, the student cannot work for more than 20 hours per week. However, through extended holidays and summer sessions, you can work full time (up to 40 hours a week). Some of the most competitive institutions provide financial aid to students to help them manage their finances. The universities who have pledged to provide sufficient financial assistance to students are Harvard, Amherst, Yale, Princeton, and MIT. In general, an international student has 60 days after graduation to enroll in another program for further studies or look for employment.
Choosing the right university is crucial towards building a successful career. Here are some of the top-rated universities in the US to pursue a program in Computer Science:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Princeton University
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Cornell University
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- University of Washington
- University of Michigan
- University of Chicago
- Boston University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a private university which has secured the number one position in the world ranking several times. It is safe to say that MIT has been the favorite destination for many students across the globe.
The scope of MS in CS
A master’s degree in Computer Science can pave the way towards several career paths. A professional with a master’s in Computer Science can expect to earn around $80,000 to $140,000 a year. There are plenty of job opportunities for Computer Science graduates as the US is home to some of the biggest tech companies in the world.
Some of the highest paying jobs are usually in the advertising, IT, finance, engineering, and management domains.
Here are some of the top-paying jobs that you can choose from once you complete your MS in the US:
- Software Development Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Security Engineer
- Software Developer
- Mobile Application Developer
- Android Software Developer
- Data Architect
- UX Designer
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Project Manager
- System Engineer
- Solution Architect
Here are the top 10 companies who hire computer science graduates:
- General Dynamics
- ManTech International
- Northrop Grumman
Computer Science jobs are expected to grow 11 percent by 2024 which is higher than the growth projected for all the other occupations. The US Bureau of Labor statistics claim reports that Computer and Information Technology is one of the fast growing fields in the country.
With every business and organization going digital, the IT sector is a booming industry and there is a huge demand for Computer Science Engineers and programmers. Programming in today’s world has been introduced into other fields like Mechanical and Electronics and its demand is on the rise.