We’ve compiled a set of questions that we want you to think about while working on your Statement of Purpose (SOP).
These questions also work well for your CV, Essays and Letters of Recommendation (LOR). All of these documents should support your story in a coherent, easy-to-understand and memorable way.
These questions are meant to help you bring out your story and show the Admission Committee why you are special. The crisper, clearer and well-backed your story is, the better your chances at gaining admission into their university.
- What is your dream for the next 10 years? What is your road-map to achieve the same? How will this specific program in these specific institutions, in this specific country, help you?
- What are your 3 biggest strengths? What achievements demonstrate these strengths?
- What is your biggest weakness? How has it affected you till now? What have you done about it?
- Who are your 3 biggest fans at work and in college who are writing your LOR? If they met me at a restaurant, what are the 3 strengths, achievements and weaknesses that they will each tell me about you? (Each one’s answer may be different based on their experience with you)
- What are the 3 biggest achievements at college and/or work? What were the situations, complications and results in each of those events?
- What are the 3 biggest challenges you have faced in your life? How did you overcome them?
- What did you learn from them and how has it changed you personally or professionally?
How to Write a Great Statement of Purpose
Remember your statement of purpose should portray you as
- passionately interested in the field
- well-prepared academically and personally
- able to take on the challenges of grad school
- able to establish good rapport with professors and fellow grad students
- able to finish the graduate degree in a timely fashion, and
- a potentially outstanding representative of that grad school in your future career