The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians has been helping Indian students since 1892 with loan scholarships for higher studies. People consider it a matter of great pride to be called a ‘JN Tata Scholar’. There are now more than 5,004 JN Tata Scholars all over the world.
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to study in USA only at the beginning of the course to Indian nationals for full-time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral studies, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or community. The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of the loan scholarship is determined on the basis of the norms laid down for the purpose, and ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All selected applicants do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for a gift scholarship and travel assistance from allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs.7,50,000/- and the travel grant can be a maximum of Rs.50,000/-.
Applicants should be Indian nationals who are graduates of a recognized Indian University, with a consistently good academic record and other achievements to their credit.
Students in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they have not received admission from any university at the time of filling out the scholarship application form.
Candidates may, therefore, update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission. Mid-career professionals up to the age of 45, with good academic records and experience in their fields, specializations or training may also apply.
Scholars going abroad for seminars, conferences and undergraduate studies are not eligible for a J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
Selection for the Awards
It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar. Staying true to the founder, Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, a rigorous selection process is followed. Candidates may note the following points.
- Apart from consistent academic performance, importance is given to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our web site on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism
- After the initial screening of applications, candidates who are found suitable will have to undergo an online test, the date and time of which will be informed to them. Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for the interview. Such candidates should mail scanned copies of the required documents before the time of the interview
Candidates should note that to be shortlisted for an interview is no guarantee of receiving the loan scholarship. The interview carries significant weightage in the selection process and is conducted in Mumbai by a Technical Committee.
Candidates should come prepared with knowledge of their subjects and suggested areas of interest, as they will be examined in detail.
The greatest weight will be given to depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path. There will be two interviewers, one of whom is a subject-expert and the other is the Director of the Endowment.
The final selection of scholars for the award of the loan scholarship is based on the following criteria
- Performance at the interview
- Score in the online test
- Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, extra-curricular activities, research work, statement of purpose, and work experience.
Formalities to be completed
The candidate and the guarantor (preferably a parent or a relative having the capacity to repay the loan) will have to visit the Administrative Office of the Endowment, by prior appointment, to complete the necessary formalities, after obtaining the visa, in case of students going overseas. They will be required to enter into a legal agreement with the Trustee and provide documentary evidence of the capacity of the guarantor to repay the loan.
Repayment of the loan begins from the time the scholar starts earning or by the end of the third year from the availment of the loan, whichever is earlier. The amount of repayment is 20% of the loan scholarship from the end of the third year to the end of the seventh year.
All applications have to be submitted online.
The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians, Mulla House, Fourth Floor, 51, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 001. India.
+91 22 66657774, 66657198, 66657681