The Information Management degree is in demand in diverse career fields including business intelligence, legal, financial, health and information technology.
Following are top job profiles for MIM graduates -
1) Content Strategist (Median salary $60K)
- required to have skills in content analysis, which focuses on metadata, taxonomy, search engine optimization, and the ways these concepts support content; the development of new forms of marketing content and social media initiatives;
- essential skills include project management, web content management, marketing communications, technical writing, and strategic marketing;
- Job titles - Digital Content Strategist, Content Director, Content Marketer, Content & SEO Strategist.
2) Data Analyst (Median salary $55K)
- need the have knowledge in statistical methods and be able to run algorithms and be familiar with SAS, Data Mining / Data Warehouse, Data Modeling, SQL, and Microsoft SQL Server;
- For the first five to ten years in this position, pay increases somewhat, but any additional experience does not have a big effect on pay.
- Job titles - Data Scientist, Director of Analytics, Business Data Analyst, Traffic Analysis & Marketing, Game Data Analyst, Sales Operation Analyst, Big Data Specialist, Financial Analyst, Digital Media Analyst, Clinical Data & Analytics Specialist
3) Database Developer (Median salary $72K)
- requires to be proficient with one or more database software tools, such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server, and with Skills in Oracle DB 8i/9i/10g/ 11i, SQL Server Integration Services, PL/SQL, and ETL;
- Those familiar with Database Development also tend to know Data Analysis.
- Database Developers who have spent more than 20 years on the job report earning a significantly higher median of $97K.
- Job titles - Database Administrator, Database Development Engineer, Data Engineer, SQL Server Developer, Data Architect.
4) Information Architect (Median Salary $88K)
- able to assess organizational and user needs, including users’ information seeking behavior, in a variety of information environments
- Job titles - Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 20 years’ experience in this field.
5) IT Project Manager (Median Salary $85K)
- requires strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills, as well as management skills, such as team building, group facilitation, and conflict management
- required to communicate and overcome the professional language barrier the gap between the company’s technology as well as the user teams
- Job titles - Senior Project Manager, Program Manager, Technical Program Manager, Project Engineer
6) User Experience Designer (Median Salary $72K)
- Valuable skills for UX Designers, especially those involved with usability testing, include proficiency with empirical research methods and quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Many people enter the usability design field with a background in computer science, information science, or human-computer interaction, but coursework in cognitive and experimental psychology is also highly relevant to the field.
- A skill in Interaction Design, IT Applications is associated with high pay for this job.
- Job titles - Game UX/UI Designer, Interactive Designer, UX & 3D Designer, Product Designer, User Experience Lead, Lead UI Designer, UX Researcher, Interaction Designer, User Experience Specialist